[sf-perl] group logo

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Fri May 22 15:58:45 PDT 2009

Josh Berkus <josh at agliodbs.com> wrote:

> > I tried coming up with an alternate, based on an idea for a
> > "perl coat of arms":
> >
> >       http://obsidianrook.com/sfpm/logo/
> >
> > Any comments?  The other club offal-sirs seem to like this direction.
>
> Wow, the ultimate bike-shedding argument begins!

Actually, I expected worse.  In particular, I expect a longer and duller
argument about trademarks, but Quinn covered it really well, so I didn't
have to.

Anyway, in case it's not clear, I'm working entirely with images I've
drawn and photos I've taken -- the one exception being the map of San
Francisco I used, which is from a USGS topo map that's in the public
domain.

My intention is to "license" this stuff in the broadest way possible
so that anyone who wants to use it for any purpose can just do it,
without thinking much about legalities.

(From my point of veiw, even the Creative Commons licenses are kind of
pernicious: they encourage people to slap "attribution required"
and/or "non-commercial use only" restrictions on every stupid little
snapshot...)

> I think the logo is fine.  Go for it.

Yeah, I'm going to have to just pick one and send it in to OSCON.
We, of course, can always change it later.