[sf-perl] group logo

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Thu May 21 10:27:02 PDT 2009

2009/5/21 Jeff Bragg <jackofnotrades at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Quinn Weaver <quinn at fairpath.com> wrote:
>> In any case, O'Reilly "maintain[s] the trademark on the use of camel
>> in association with Perl."  They tolerate its use by Perl Mongers
>> groups, but anything that borders on the commercial could be dicey.
>> This is a good reason to avoid camels.
>
> Fair enough.

I don't think there is really a need for concern here, unless we do a
run of several hundred T-shirts and start selling them online.
O'Reilly has been generous to our group with donations of new
releases, and I can't imagine that they would be upset if do a run of
a few dozen T-shirts (if that) with a camel on it for our group
members.

For O'Reilly (or the Perl Foundation) to get upset because we make a
few T-shirts for our group members really goes against the open source
roots of both organizations, and wreaks of news events such as DMCA
takedown notices for events where "Happy Birthday" is sung without a
license (that song is copyrighted btw -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You)

Now if we setup an online shop and start pushing that to other groups
(or did a run for YAPC or another event), I could see it becoming a
valid concern, but we can deal with compliance if that time comes.  I
don't think it should hinder our creativity in making a few T-shirts
for group members.  So Joe and Jeff (and anyone else), keep the great
ideas coming!