[sf-perl] Question of the week - Padre

Randy J. Ray rjray at blackperl.com
Tue May 12 14:58:16 PDT 2009

Fred Moyer wrote:
> Has anyone here used the Padre editor?
>
> http://padre.perlide.org

I have just recently started experimenting with it.

So far, I am *very* impressed. The only issues I have had thus far are around
mixing UTF-8 characters and non in a document (specifically, Russian and
English), and as soon as I can distill the problem to a minimal repeatable
series of steps I'll be reporting it.

Granted, at this point I'm using it primarily as an editor, not a full-blown
IDE like Eclipse (which I use for Java, PHP and generalized web bits). It's
more like jEdit (which thus far still has the best support for editing raw XML
of the various editors I've used) or vim. Not everything is there, yet... I
tried the "lexically rename a variable" option but it couldn't seem to figure
out what to do... I haven't been all over the list of open issues, so there may
be someone working on this.

Still, up to this point I've continued to use XEmacs largely because it had the
best Perl support (though recently I've been collecting vim tips and hacks that
have been bridging that gap). This might finally let me retire my .xemacs
directory.

Randy
rjray at blackperl.com