[sf-perl] Fwd: [LA.pm] Perlmonks compromised

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Jul 30 11:00:42 PDT 2009

Joe> And the XP system is a joke (I'm pretty sure "Browser UK"
Joe> is using bots to moderate himself up).

I'm gonna disagree with you there.  While there were clearly abuses, for the
most part all the XP you see were basically *earned*.

And generally, since the earliest *correct* answers to a question were voted
most, this meant that people were sitting on the site at all hours hitting
"reload", looking for questions they could answer (I'm including myself here).

I would often tell people in my classes that if they wanted a question
answered within *minutes*, and have it automatically vetted by other experts,
use perlmonks.  Truly, I haven't seen any other sites that worked quite this
well, and I'm including StackOverflow.