[sf-perl] what do you do?

yary not.com at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 19:02:05 PST 2009

> 1,  break down, by percentage of time, what you do.  if you think the
> terminology you use isn't generally understood by this audience,
> elaborate a little bit.
Varies hugely by customer. Currently, roughly,
60% report writing/hacking
30% user interface and process management glue
10% administrative overhead

> 2,  break down, by percentage of code you write, the languages you use

70% SQL - Teradata 6-ish. Not perfect but has some good aspects.
12% ksh - flavor circa 1988, because the customer says so
12% perl 5.8 - though I use 5.10 on my personal systems, and am now
installing perl6
6% C# - was surprised- hey, it ain't so bad!

My last customer was nearly 100% machine control in 92% C, 8% bison...
did an emergency bugfix for a perl website that moved machines and
broke... before that was automated parsing/XML generation/reporting
from a manufacturer's hardware test harnesses in equal parts perl,
python, XSLT 1.0 (a head trip)... before that was a prototype web app
in Python via Django... contracting is fun! when you can get the work.