[sf-perl] OSCON impressions - lightning talks comments

James Briggs james at ActionMessage.com
Tue Aug 25 14:09:43 PDT 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:28:20 -0700, Joe Brenner wrot
> Speaking of which, if anyone is wondering what "lightning talks" are
> about:
>
>   http://perl.plover.com/lightning-talks.html

I like Suggestion #6 (You All Suck: Here's what is wrong with the Perl
community.).

There should be a #6 in each program ... reflection can be very productive.

Coincidentally, at OSCON there were 2 #6 candidates, one about
bad perl programmers being responsible for writing bad perl, and one about
svn merely pointing the way to git.

> And the reason I bring this up is that we're going to be doing
> our own Lightning Talks on September 2009, and ideas are welcome.
>
> I thought the comparision between the OSCON lightning talks and our
> own was kind of interesting -- both were very good, but I think in a
> weird way we tend to take our own lightning talks more seriously.
> So much heavy material goes by, it can be hard to keep track of it
> all...

I found it a little confusing having multiple lightning talks for different
things, but I guess we should be flattered the format is catching on.

James Briggs.