[sf-perl] Call for Lightning, pt II (was Re: OSCON impressions - detailed blog post)

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 25 11:48:22 PDT 2009

Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:

> This is the list of lightning talks from OSCON 2009:
>
>   http://www.justanotherperlhacker.org/lightning/2009oscon.shtml
>
> Speaking of which, if anyone is wondering what "lightning talks" are
> about:
>
>   http://perl.plover.com/lightning-talks.html
>
> And the reason I bring this up is that we're going to be doing
> our own Lightning Talks on September 2009, and ideas are welcome.
>
> I thought the comparision between the OSCON lightning talks and our
> own was kind of interesting -- both were very good, but I think in a
> weird way we tend to take our own lightning talks more seriously.
> So much heavy material goes by, it can be hard to keep track of it
> all...

Lighning talks are coming up next month, on September 29th.  But don't
forget we've got *two* meetings in September.  on September 3rd (that's
*next week*) we have Kristina Chodorow of 10gen talking about
non-relational databases (though that's not at the usual Six Apart
location).

Just to get the ball rolling, here's the talks I'm thinkinb about doing:

Someone was asking me to do an introduction to writing CPAN modules,
but I figure that's really two talks:

  "Writing CPAN modules is easy!"
  "Writing CPAN modules is hard!"

I could also (or alternately) do a talk:

  "Quick and (slightly) Dirty Test Code"

(I went in a different direction on testing than Jeffrey Thalhammer.)

Anyway, hit me with your ideas, and I'll get you down on the schedule...