[sf-perl] perl on a mac ...

Alex Feinberg alex at strlen.net
Thu Nov 20 17:22:03 PST 2008

I use Perldb myself quite a lot as a REPL. Combined with
XML::Simple/JSON::Syck and LWP it's a very useful way to debug web
services (e.g. use XML::Simple; use LWP::Simple; x
XMLin(get('http://foo.com/status.xml') ; )

Thing is perldb is a debugger, rather than a REPL tool. So if it
were to have REPL like features, it'd mean giving up ability to work
as a debugger:

It would be useful if perldb allowed me to just paste example of
code as I trouble-shot it, with regards for lexical scoping and use
strict.

If I wanted to try out this segment on REPL -
my $foo = 'hi';
print $foo;

I'd have to do it as a single line - which makes sense when you're
dealing with in the content of a debugger.

    Perhaps there is a way to do it - but I am not aware of it. In
addition support for emacs/vi keybindings (and other simple editing)
would be somewhat nice.

    I should look into one of the many third-party REPL tools for
this.