[sf-perl] perl on a mac ...

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 20 10:43:57 PST 2008

Simon,

Now *this* is why I joined the SF PM list!
My free time is now earmarked for at least the next month trying these
out. :-)

Zoidberg: A real login shell! You can pipeline perl expressions! I
can't even begin to comprehend how useful this'll be in my work... It
could change the way I debug problems entirely.

Thanks!
-- Mike

On Nov 20, 2008, at 9:06 AM, Simon Wistow wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:10:08PM -0700, Rich Morin said:
>> <snark>
>> Isn't it about time somebody created something like irb (the
>> interactive ruby interpreter) for Perl?  Sorry, I forgot; the
>> developers are all busy (re-)designing Perl 6...
>> </snark>
>
> In typical Perl fashion there's not one, there's loads
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~mstrout/Devel-REPL-1.002001/lib/Devel/REPL.pm
>
> http://search.cpan.org/src/AYRNIEU/App-REPL-0.012/iperl
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Shell-Perl/lib/Shell/Perl.pm
> http://search.cpan.org/~ferreira/Shell-Perl-0.0018/bin/pirl
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/perlconsole/
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Shell-Base/Base.pm
>
> amongst others and of which Devel::REPL is probably the best.
>
> There's even a 3 part article about it
>
> http://chainsawblues.vox.com/library/post/a-perl-read-excute-print-loop-repl.html
>
> Usefully there's also something which drops you into the REPL if an
> exception is thrown
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~sartak/Carp-REPL-0.13/lib/Carp/REPL.pm
>
> Hell, there's even an entire Shell written in Perl
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~pardus/Zoidberg-0.96/

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>