[sf-perl] perl curl [ was Re: Escalation or something else?]

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Mon May 12 11:10:24 PDT 2008

Neil Heller wrote:
> Has anybody used curl?

Yep :)

> If so, what did you use it for?

I used it to write an https load tester.

> Did you use it from the command line or from a Perl script?

I used it from the command line for initial diagnostics, then used the
WWW::Curl::Easy module in a program.  The interface isn't as intuitive
as LWP, but it is still pretty slick.

It ran using a threaded version of Perl 5.8.8, each new thread consumed
about 10 MB of memory (I created a new WWW::Curl::Easy object for each
thread).  It was significantly faster than the forking implementation I
wrote using Parallel::ForkManager, and I was able to spawn about 200
threads before I ran out of memory on a 2 gig machine

> Neil Heller

Red Hot Penguin Consulting LLC
mod_perl consulting and implementation
http://www.redhotpenguin.com/