[sf-perl] Fwd: RE: Important...I need your help

Steve Fink sphink at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:15:45 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Michael Friedman
<friedman at highwire.stanford.edu> wrote:
> So it is even Perl related. (or at least *was*, two years ago)

Oh, that was STEPscape, a completely different system that is pretty
much exactly the same internally. :-) Marketing people do odd things.

We could make it more Perl-related and possibly more interesting by
letting you run a shell against the live system. It's kind of a
console that lets you type Perl code in and have the running system
evaluate the code in between frames. (Or you could run the whole
system under the Perl debugger, which would let you do the same thing,
but has to be done in advance and is a bit trickier to configure.) You
can do pretty much anything to the system that way, although I mostly
use it for popping up insulting messages.

Or not. I may not be in the office that day; my wife will be in
Colorado, and it'll be my little maggot's first day without nursing,
so I may have to be home to distract him. And nobody else here even
knows that the shell exists. Err... well, now Rich does.

If you're in the area, though, WAVEscape would be a fun system to see
and play with. And you get chocolate. So it's not a bad deal -- eat
chocolate and play with cool toy. And if I happen to be around, yell
Perl at it. (But let me know if anyone's interested in that; it'd be
kind of fun, so I could try to arrange my schedule to be around.
Nanny's got to earn her pay somehow.)