[sf-perl] Fwd: RE: Important...I need your help

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 16 22:19:26 PDT 2008

Also, isn't this the thing installed at the Metreon that someone did a
SFPM talk about? ... oh yeah, here it is, Nov. 2006:

On 11/18/06 Steve Fink <sphink at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/06, Quinn Weaver <qw at sf.pm.org> wrote:
>> You know that thing in the Metreon?  The video game that's projected
>> onto the floor, where you can run around and "kick" objects, and they
>> bounce around?  http://westfield.com/metreon/
>>
>> Turns out it's written in Perl.  Our own Steve Fink will talk
>> about how he used XS and OpenGL to accomplish the task.  This will be
>> a highly technical talk.
>
> To clarify: the system is not really "written in Perl". It is
> written in C++, but both extends and embeds Perl as a scripting
> language for advanced functionality (or, not uncommonly, working
> around bugs in the built-in functionality of the last release!) I
> did it in such a way that you *could* implement almost anything in
> Perl that you could in the C++ code, although in practice we limit
> our use of Perl to areas where scripting is just a much better fit
> (complex behavior, integration with external services, prototyping).

So it is even Perl related. (or at least *was*, two years ago)

-- Mike, armchair historian

On Jun 16, 2008, at 8:49 PM, Rich Morin wrote:

> At 17:25 -0700 6/16/08, frosty wrote:
>> What is a WAVEScape, what does it have to do with Perl, and why
>> should we work for your company for free?
>>
>> Seriously, the message doesn't make much of a pitch.  So it's an
>> interactive sandwich board, or what?
>>
>> Also, it would be great if you could be more specific (and less
>> urgent) in subject lines on future solicitation mails.
>
> All fair questions.  It doesn't have anything in particular to do
> with Perl.  However, as a long-term member of SFPUG, I've made a
> number of friends, so I thought of this group as a possible source
> of volunteer testers.  I've played with the system myself and I do
> think it's fun and interesting.  Anyone who thinks it won't be fun
> should take a pass on the trial.
>
> I didn't make much of a sales pitch because (a) I'm a techie, not
> a salesperson and (b) I wasn't sure how much exposure Chuck wants
> the volunteers to have.  That said, WAVEscape is an interactive
> advertising device (sort of like a video game or kiosk) that can
> interact with users up to 15' feet away, using 3D sensing.  If you
> want to see one in action, cruise over to http://www.reactrix.com.
>
> Finally, I apologize for retaining the subject line.  It simply
> didn't occur to me to change it.
>
> -r
> --
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich Morin
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com
> http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/weblog     +1 650-873-7841
>
> Technical editing and writing, programming, and web development

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>