[sf-perl] Bug in perl (or does -r not do what I think?)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Jun 6 14:13:14 PDT 2008

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Dan Boger wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 1:50 PM, David Thompson <dat1965 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> If you're using root_squash, you should be accessing this
>> file on the NFS server as user "nobody", right?  What does
>> the "nobody" account look like on the NFS server?
>

> what do you mean 'look like'?  it exists, I assume (but I don't actually
> have access to it to check).

The '"nobody" account' just means, use UID -1 (which wraps around to
65535 iirc).

Anyway, I agree that this behavior in Perl is broken - what's the point of
a 'read' test whose return value must be double-checked?!

-- Asheesh.

--
Good advice is something a man gives when he is too old to set a bad
example.