[sf-perl] McS worth it?

yary not.com at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 08:21:29 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Daniel Lo <woof at danlo.com> wrote:
> 2. Can you learn 85-95% from a book instead of going to a class (online or
> other)?  For my B.S. many of the teachers relied heavenly on the books.

I also forgot to say, at least for my Comp E, there was maybe 20% book
learning, at most, and that included the classes where professors
wrote the books. Always seemed like a bit of a scam- "you have to take
my course to graduate, and you have to spend $80 for my book to take
my course." At least I have a pre-1st edition "Computer Architecture:
A Quantitative Approach" yellowing on my shelves to show for it.

Work was more along the lines of "write a real-time kernel in the 1st
half of the semester, use it to run these model trains in the 2nd half
of the semester." Comp Sci had a reputation for being more book
learning, less hands-on. Your mileage may vary. I would definitely
talk to students in the programs you'd apply to and get a feel for the
coursework. Which I suppose is what you're doing now...