[sf-perl] McS worth it?

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Mon Jul 21 19:44:59 PDT 2008

Daniel Lo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am considering getting my McS (Masters of Computer Science) and I have 2 questions.
>
> For a bit of background,
>
> A MSCS Masters of Science in Computer Science is a research degree. You must do
> a thesis (or a project?).
>
> A McS A Masters in Computer Science is a degree that you get just by completing
> course work.  No exam, no thesis.
>
> So, I am considering working on getting a McS, because there is no way I can
> complete a MSCS and work.  Therefore,
>
> 1. Does getting a McS help your career and fun?

If you are going to get your MS then you will likely want to focus your
thesis on where you want to hone your expertise.  So I would suggest
making it something you enjoy, so you can get the fun part as well as
the career boost.

> 2. Can you learn 85-95% from a book instead of going to a class (online or
> other)?  For my B.S. many of the teachers relied heavenly on the books.

It depends on your advisor.  A good one will count for at 25% and a
great one will count for 50% of that 100% (rough estimate from my own
experiences.

> TIA,
>

> -daniel

Red Hot Penguin Consulting LLC
mod_perl/PostgreSQL consulting and implementation
http://www.redhotpenguin.com/