[sf-perl] [OT] Used laptop place?

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 10 13:59:14 PST 2008

Richard Reina <gatorreina at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought an Ace Aspire 4315 from Microcenter from for $379.00 -- not
> sure if they still have any in stock.  Got it running Ubuntu 7.10 just fine.

Ubuntu 7.10 seems to be a good release as far as hardware compatibility
goes.  I've got an Alvio MS-1013 laptop (AMD64-based) that Ubuntu used
to have problems with, but Kubuntu 7.10 installed on it without too much
trouble.

My one complaint with that release though, is that they've enabled the
"quiet" boot options, so there's no way to know what the hell is going
on during boot.

I recommend:

(0) Don't panic if the first time you boot it seems like your machine
has hung.

(1) At first opportunity, go into /boot/grub/menu.lst and

  (a) Comment out the line "hiddenmenu"

  (b) Comment out the "quiet" lines.

  (c) Modify the "kernel" line so there's no "quiet" in the list of options

And I suppose this is far enough off topic that I should move over to
balug-talk with this, and I suppose I will...