[sf-perl] hostid in mac os x?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sun Jan 6 15:31:14 PST 2008

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Hamlin <bh1 at light42.com> writes:

Brian> Basically, unix ports, whether via Fink or MacPorts (straight outta
Brian> BSD), will always suffer in the windowing and fonts department. If you
Brian> are installing a faceless server kind of thing, you are probably in
Brian> good shape.

Of course!  The point of fink and macports isn't for building and installing
native OSX tools.  It's for installing unix command-line or x11-based tools,
which won't have a clue about OSX fonts or any native GUI!

Of the two, if I can install the same thing from either fink or macports, I
prefer fink, generally because fink has prebuilt binaries for many things, and
I'm often in a hurry.  MacPorts always comes from the source.  MacPorts also
installs an entirely *separate* Perl on my box, which means I have three, one
of which never gets used except very indirectly.