[sf-perl] hostid in mac os x?

Kevin Frost biztos at mac.com
Sun Jan 6 13:37:10 PST 2008

BASH is standard.  An awful lot of normal, familiar UNIX is running
under all that sexy Jobso eye candy.

     frost at mb ~ $ echo $SHELL
     /bin/bash
     frost at mb ~ $ ls -alF /bin/*sh
     -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1244912 Sep 23 18:41 /bin/bash*
     -rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   610864 Sep 23 19:10 /bin/csh*
     -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2103664 Sep 23 22:46 /bin/ksh*
     -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1244944 Sep 23 18:45 /bin/sh*
     -rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   610864 Sep 23 19:10 /bin/tcsh*
     -rwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   982000 Sep 23 18:40 /bin/zsh*
     frost at mb ~ $

A lot of other stuff is available through MacPorts, though they have
some sporadic packaging problems so some of the more complicated
things (like PerlMagick) often won't compile with the normal `sudo
port install foo` business.  But I've found most everything can be
hacked into working with a little effort.

	</famous-last-words>

I do a lot of development on OS X that targets various flavors of
Linux.  I've lately found a sort of nerdvana in running a Linux server
inside VMWare Fusion with a shared directory, so I use my Mac
toolchain to code and jump over to the VM to run my tests and so on.
It's so transparent I sometimes forget I've got the VM running.  (VMs
are only a real option on the newer, Intel Macs.)

Some useful links for UNIX fans thinking of switching:

	http://www.macports.org/

	http://www.macromates.com/ - awesome programmer's editor

	http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

	http://www.parallels.com/ - the other VM for Intel Macs

	http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

	http://iterm.sourceforge.net/ - popular alternative to the system
terminal

Also, as of Leopard (the new OS release, 10.5) system perl is 5.8.8:

     frost at mb ~ $ perl -v

     This is perl, v5.8.8 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

     ...etc...

cheers

-- frosty