[sf-perl] [JOB] Small team, large parent co., positions in Sunnyvale

Randy J. Ray rjray at blackperl.com
Mon Apr 21 13:28:54 PDT 2008

My team is in need of three positions filled at the moment. One of them is full
on, full-time Perl development. The other two will require some Perl, though
they are not as centric. The descriptions below are not exhaustive-- email me
privately if you are interested or if you want to refer someone to me. I'll
make sure you (or they) get the full "official" listing(s).

1. Perl developer.
    Our codebase is Perl+HTML::Mason running on a typical LAMP stack. It is
    legacy, and crufty in (most) places, but I've dealt with worse. Knowledge
    of HTML::Mason, general mod_perl development, and MySQL will help greatly.

2. Linux system admin
    We need one on-site sysadmin to support our team. Our top-of-the-graph
    parent co. is in NYC, and the division that we're specifically a part of
    is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. We're here in Sunnyvale because for
    some reason, they couldn't find the talent they needed either already in
    Des Moines or willing to relocate. But we need someone here who can manage
    the servers and such for us, so that we don't have to rely on teams that
    are 2 or 3 time-zones ahead of us. Besides being a good admin, having some
    experience with MySQL will be helpful.

3. MySQL DBA
    For this one, I think you can assume the "experience with MySQL will be
    helpful" part. Our system is backed by MySQL, and while it's working fine
    for now, we know that a talented MySQL admin can make a huge difference
    in our overall system performance, as well as helping the developers write
    better MySQL queries.

Our office is in Sunnyvale, less than 10 minutes' walk from the Sunnyvale
CalTrain stop at Mathilda Ave. Currently, telecommuting is very limited, simply
because the team itself is still fairly young and we have a lot of things to
smooth out before we start seeing less of each other. Our manager is top-notch,
one of the two best I've worked for since moving to California (the other is
probably reading this list, so I'm picking my words carefully :-). I'm enjoying
myself more than I have in quite a while... the code itself can be frustrating
at times, but the people I'm working with are a good bunch. And we have a lot
of potential leeway to guide the project going forward. Our parent company is
not a start-up, so you won't be getting rich off of stock options. But neither
is there the worry of company stability or security. To put it another way: I
wouldn't be writing this if I thought it was a dicey gig. (Some may remember I
asked about posting of jobs back in February, then never did post. That was a
different company, and I decided I wasn't sure-enough about them to write it
up. This time, I am.)

Thanks for reading, please check your headers if/when replying so that it goes
to me instead of the whole list :-).

Randy
Randy J. Ray                 Silicon Valley Scale Modelers: http://www.svsm.org
rjray at blackperl.com