[sf-perl] Eric Allman @ BALUG (Tuesday!!)

Andrew Fife afife at untangle.com
Fri Apr 11 18:28:57 PDT 2008

Hi Folks:

BALUG is very proud to host Eric Allman as our speaker this Tuesday, April
15th.  Eric Allman is the original author of sendmail and he is giving an
excellent talk titled "Email Evolvoing." (see abstract below) If you'd
like to come please drop us an RSVP:

rsvp at balug.org

***Why RSVP?***

We won't turn anyone away, but the RSVP's really help the Four Seas
Restaurant know how much food to prepare and ensure that BALUG gets to
meet in the upstairs banquette room.

***When & Where***

6:30pm
The Four Seas Restaruant
731 Grant Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94108

Parking: $5 garage @ 733 Kearney (1 block away)

***Cost****

The meeting is free, but dinner is $13 for the family style Chinese
dinner.

***Abstract***

Internet email is in a process of rapid evolution.  Besides the obvious
things, such as spam and malware, many other technology trends are having
an impact.  These include mobile devices, new messaging technologies,
social networking, changing legal requirements, the rise of Software as a
Service and Service Oriented Architectures, and an unstable underpinning
of the network itself.
Not surprisingly, many of these same forces do or will affect other parts
of the network.

This talk will describe these evolutionary pressures, point out some of
the unexpected consequences of our attempts to adapt to these pressures,
and make some dire predictions for the future.  Generous time will be
allotted to Q&A.

--
Andrew Fife
Untangle - The Open Source Network Gateway

650.425.3327 desk
415.806.6028 cell