[sf-perl] Perl website for noobies

Joey Moe family_geek at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 12:07:59 PDT 2008

I'm sorry that I seemed to piss off the perl community. That wasn't my intention. and I apologize to Randall, I didn't mean to come off like I did, but I did take it personally since it seemed that all your frustration with the community as a whole was dumped on me after just one post. I wasn't expecting that. I respect your knowledge and I understand your frustration with the community as I wish you could relate to my frustration in asking for help and either being blown off by experts or just not getting any response at all. For a while I just stopped posting anything. I just thought I'd take a chance and post here, not expecting to upset the status quo.

I don't know about anybody else here, but I look at my computers the way guys used to look at their muscle cars in the 70s. Like building a car from the frame up, I work on my code, and and like to show off what I've done...and if given the chance stand around with a group of friends and talk about it. That's why the code on my site is labeled as "Projects", because I see it as work in progress. I mean I want to know if it's wrong or if it can be improved.

Frosty, I appreciate the constructive criticism. I'm still not sure how I want this site to evolve, but it's only 2 months old and I only have a couple of posts under my belt. Your points are completely valid. I'm still building content and like the code, the site is still evolving. Like I keep saying, I'm not trying to compete for pagerank or support with sites like perlmonks. I agree that perlmonks does a good job of providing solutions. I guess the only reason I even included forums on my site at all is in some dumb "if you build it, they will come" pipe dream. Like I said, I don't care if the experts come hang out or not...or any one else for that matter. But even if just one more noobie shows up and wants to talk about stuff, I'm going to work with them and we'll learn together. That's where my heart is on the command line. Maybe my execution sucks, but my passion should at least count for something.

It's just very disheartening, especially as a budding programmer, to be met with such disdain so quickly.

Joey Moe