[sf-perl] Do You Twitter?

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 20 20:39:35 PDT 2007

I don't Twitter. But, then again, I don't blog, either.

Blogging just doesn't work for me. I like to keep my personal life
relatively private and my work life is entirely owned by my employer.
Thus, blogging for me would end up being the same vapid "here's what
I had for lunch today" stuff that clogs the internet. There's no
point in adding to that.

However, I think Twitter (and similar services) has a chance to be
more useful to people like me. You can use it when you want to be
found ("I'm working at Mission City for the next 2 hours. Stop by!")
or when you have short, public news ("Massive accident on 280 S at
Saratoga.") but not have to expose either your actual life details or
work concepts or designs owned by your employer. The longer form of
blogging encourages sharing more information; the shorter form of
Twittering encourages timely information.

On the other hand, none of my friends Twitter, so there's the new
network problem: you need a threshold of people on the service before
it becomes useful.

That said, once I get an iPhone, I plan to look into these services
more closely. ;-)

-- Mike

On Sep 20, 2007, at 6:51 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Vicki> I discovered Twitter a little over two months ago when I
> read Clive
> Vicki> Thompson's article in Wired.
> Vicki>   http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/15-07/st_thompson
>
> I started twittering, but switched to Jaiku six months ago.  Far
> better model.
>
> --
> 777 0095
> <merlyn at stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> training!

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>