[sf-perl] Slightly OT: Freebase User Group meeting next Weds

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Sat Sep 15 00:30:51 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 12:17:55AM -0700, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> >> Good luck getting a YAML writer to *write* JSON.
>
> Quinn> I'm not sure I understand.  By "YAML writer", do you mean a human who
> Quinn> is manually producing JSON, but who is more used to YAML?  I agree, I
> Quinn> wouldn't expect to get someone like that to get it right.
>
> No, I mean some code that writes YAML.  That's not JSON.

Yes, that would suck.

It's a one-way thing:  if you produce JSON-sans-comments, then whoever
is consuming your output can use a JSON or a YAML parser.  But it
doesn't work the other way:  you can't produce YAML and expect a JSON
parser to handle it.

So I see what you're saying.  The problem is the corrupted meme that
says "JSON is equivalent to YAML," when the truth is that JSON is just a
_subset_ of YAML.

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/