[sf-perl] Slightly OT: Freebase User Group meeting next Weds

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Fri Sep 14 18:22:51 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:14:17PM -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
> At 20:41 -0700 9/13/07, Quinn Weaver wrote:
> > Smart!  JSON is YAML, except for comments.  So it maps straight onto
> > data structures, unambiguously (unlike XML).  I wish all REST apps
> > would use JSON.
>
> Well, it's more like a subset of YAML, but it's the subset that I tend
> to use, so that's OK with me.

Right.  I was speaking imprecisely. :(

I agree about "the subset that I use."  I've used YAML's references,
and I like its alternate syntax better than the JSON-like syntax.  But
that's about it; I've never used its other features.  "Keep it simple,
stupid."  I guess ordered hashes could be useful.

> Mapping XML onto lists and hashes is a
> bit of a nudge, even when you can assume that all items are wrapped in
> tag pairs.

Yep.  That was the main point I was trying to make.  If Web 2.0 causes
"web services" to start using JSON instead of XML, that's a big win from my
standpoint.

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/