[sf-perl] website searching/filtering script

Dan Lyke danlyke at flutterby.com
Wed Sep 12 09:09:17 PDT 2007

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:52:45 -0700
"Henry Alexander Lee" <hlee at paybl.com> wrote:
> My name is Henry Lee and I'm a student at Stanford. I'm trying to
> gather a list of names for an event. I'm wondering if it is possible
> to write a perl script that would repeatedly send requests to a site,
> input keywords in its search form, gather the results, and output
> them to a text/excel file.

I'll be a little more charitable about your end goals than Randal, this
sounds like a basic data mining problem and I can think of all sorts
of times when extracting information from web sites is useful and
reasonable. WWW::Mechanize is your friend.

A note: Offering equity for problems this simple probably doesn't
excite any competent coders about the potentials of your startup.

Dan