[sf-perl] Belated follow-up (on Lenovo hardware support)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Oct 5 12:10:26 PDT 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Quinn Weaver wrote:

> 1.  Lenovo tech support is very fast and very good.

Hear, hear!

> 4.  If you do need to ship in your computer, be prepared for an OS
> reinstall when it comes back.  They will re-image your hard drive,
> even if you ask them not to(!)  To their credit, they did warn me about this.

They told me to take out my hard drive before I sent my laptop to them for
this reason.

> 7.  Despite items 2, 4, and 6, I maintain that Thinkpads are overall
> the best laptops for running Linux.  The kernel plays well with the
> hardware, as does Xorg, and the keyboard and pointing device
> ergonomics are still far ahead of competitors (including, IMO, Apple).
> Hardware support for Linux users is a little misguided, but not
> totally clueless (e.g. they did warn me about having to reinstall the
> OS); probably it's the best that's to be had among laptop vendors.

Plus, you can get used, perfect-quality ThinkPads still in warranty for
very reasonable prices.  Businesses buy ThinkPads+3 year warranties that
stay in the office for a year and then get upgraded, and the result is
that I have an amazing laptop for $700 with a two-year IBM^WLenovo
warranty.

-- Asheesh.

--
God is Dead.