[sf-perl] Bug management / time management

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Wed May 9 15:11:30 PDT 2007

On May 9, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Steve Fink wrote:

> One thing I'm surprised nobody has brought up is the distinction
> between severity and priority.

Severity can help drive priority, but it's not the only determinant.
A bug might cause your Apache to crash, but only once a year on New
Years Eve.  It's a severe bug, but might not be a high priority.

You might have another bug that errors out during a data load when it
finds a malformed data field.  No data is harmed, and it's just an
annoyance, but it happens every other day and it takes a programmer
half an hour to find the bad data and start the data load process
again.  Not a severe bug, but probably would be a high priority.

That's why I talk about the costs of fixing the problem vs. the costs
of having it still be there.  THAT'S where priority should derive from.

--
Andy Lester => andy at petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance