[sf-perl] [off-topic] Billing software

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Wed Mar 21 19:19:07 PDT 2007

Hi, all,

This isn't really a Perl question, but I know there are a number of
other contractors on the list, so I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyway. ;)

I need to replace my time-tracking/billing system.  It's more or less
spreadsheet-based and home-grown and more or less of a pain.  What I
want is a system that can both a) track my time against different
tasks and clients and b) auto-generate invoices.  Using any two separate
systems for time and invoices turns out to be a surprisingly big hassle.

Some time ago I researched open-source solutions and came up with nothing.
The closest I found were LedgerSMB and gnucash, but they both do
bookkeeping only and not time-tracking.  So I gritted my teeth and
stuck to the current solution.

Now I'm thinking of taking drastic measures:  using proprietary software
or even getting a second-hand Mac or a Windows box for the task.

Any tips on what to use?  I'm hoping for "I use X and it Just Works"
or "I use Y and it's tolerable," but I'll take "I heard Z works." ;)

Many thanks,

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/