[sf-perl] [ian at linefeed.org: [oak perl] New, affordable community colo in SF up and running]

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Sat Mar 3 13:11:33 PST 2007

For those of you who haven't heard... the San Francisco Community Colo.
Oh yeah... ponte colocado.

----- Forwarded message from Ian <ian at linefeed.org> -----

Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 00:33:56 -0800
From: Ian <ian at linefeed.org>
To: oakland at pm.org
Subject: [oak perl] New, affordable community colo in SF up and running

(You may have already gotten this announcement on another LUG list.
For the duplicate, I apologize. This is a one-time announcement to the
Perl Users Group list, intended solely to spread the word that we
exist as a new colo resource for folks interested. I appreciate your
patience and understanding)

Hello Oakland Perl folks,

I am writing because I think that some on this list might be
interested in a new non-commercial, community network with a
colocation facility in downtown San Francisco.

If you operate a server for an open source project, a non-profit
organization or non-commercial personal use, you qualify to host your
server at the San Francisco Community Colocation Project's colo at 6th
& Brannan in downtown San Francisco.

Your share of the collectively-purchased space & bandwidth starts
around $45/1U/month.

We have helped run a non-profit colo facility in the Bay Area for 5
years -- and now we are opening the doors to our newest colo in SF. We
are part of a network that includes other community colos in Seattle,
Chicago, Toronto and Washington DC.

We are also committed to the protection of online free speech. In
2003, for example, we received a DMCA take-down order from Diebold
regarding documents that had been posted to our servers that shed an
embarrassing light on Diebold's eletronic voting machines. The
Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) took up the case and Diebold
backed down. A corporate colo likely would have forced the client to
comply with Diebold's lawyers.

If any of this sounds good to you, please get in touch!

1) Email us -> inquire at sfccp.net
2) Call us -> (415) 887-7679
3) Check out our website -> http://www.sfccp.net/

For more information on the Diebold case, see
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/11/27/050218

Thanks for your time,

Ian McLeod
San Francisco Community Colocation Project
www.sfccp.net

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/