[sf-perl] Internationalizing a Perl application

Allen Chen achen at iparadigms.com
Fri Mar 2 11:34:08 PST 2007

Hi,

I had a question about internationalization (using
Locale::Maketext::Simple) that I hoped someone would be able to
answer. Here's the situation:

I created a drop-down menu on the user preferences form that allows
users to select a language. When the user clicks submit, his
preference is changed in our database and in the URL string
(www.turnitin.com/user_info.asp?lang=en_us&..., or 'fr', 'es',
etc.) . When the page reloads, there is a call to loc_lang that
should cause all of the text to be displayed in the new language.
However, the text still shows up in the old language, so it looks
like loc_lang isn't working. For example, if the user logged in with
his language preference set as en_us and then changed it to fr, the
'Welcome' text remains 'Welcome' and doesn't change to the French
version. I logged our calls to loc_lang and found that it is indeed
calling loc_lang("fr"), but the text that is displayed is still all
English.

The only time I can get the text to change is if I restart apache and
then reload the page. Would anyone happen to know whether we're
missing a step in here or what we can do to have loc_lang change the
current language? If you could respond to achen at iparadigms.com, that
would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Allen

Allen Chen
Web Application Support & Developer

iParadigms, LLC
1624 Franklin Street, 7th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612

p +1.510.287.9720 x 256
f +1.510.444.1952
e achen at iparadigms.com

The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer.