[sf-perl] 100 levels deep in subroutine calls!

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Tue Jun 19 13:14:23 PDT 2007

On Jun 19, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Regrettably, I have to warn that one of that piece's co-authors is
> excessively loquacious, with sequipedalian tendencies.  A sad case,
> really.

Not to mention the tone of the document being unnecessarily anti-
social, abrasive and aggressive.

"Never, ever expect hackers to be able to read closed proprietary
document formats like Microsoft Word or Excel. Most hackers react to
these about as well as you would to having a pile of steaming pig
manure dumped on your doorstep. Even when they can cope, they resent
having to do so."

"Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended
to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-
the-bullshit communications style that is natural to people who are
more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm
and fuzzy."

"On Not Reacting Like A Loser"

"[Where can I find X?] The same place I'd find it, fool — at the
other end of a web search. Ghod, doesn't everybody know how to use
Google yet?"

"[Re: Windows questions]  Yes. Throw out that Microsoft trash and
install an open-source operating system like Linux or BSD."

and then, most ironically, "There is no need of public humiliation
for someone who may have made an honest mistake. A real newbie may
not know how to search archives or where the FAQ is stored or posted."

I just added a note to my to-do list: "Adapt a less harsh, more
welcoming version of Smart Questions".

xoxo,
Andy

--