[sf-perl] June 26 - 7:00 p.m. (NOT 8:00) - Fred Moyer on the Big Ball of Mud

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Thu Jun 7 23:04:43 PDT 2007

***********************   N    O   T   E   ***********************

      This meeting starts at 7:00 p.m., NOT 8:00.

***********************   N    O   T   E   ***********************

Ahem.  That said, I'm pleased to announce our next talk:

June 26, 2007:
Fred Moyer on the Big Ball of Mud

Fred Moyer (http://www.redhotpenguin.com/) will discuss techniques
for handling the Big Ball of Mud: that haphazardly grown, ill-documented,
fragile, and messy codebase that we've all had to deal with. His talk
focuses on how to test and clean up BBOMs, paying off technical debt
so you can add features again without fear of the code breaking.

I had a chance to see this talk last month, and I was very impressed.
Fred does a great job of explaining not just the technical, uh,
techniques for handling BBOMs, but also the trickier social
engineering you have to do in order to make it happen.

This is a shortish talk, so Fred will also cover the highlights of the
Nordic Perl Workshop, where he recently spoke.

       BGI will sponsor Thai food from BKK. Thanks, guys!

       RSVP to Jeff.Thalhammer at barclaysglobal.com

       Location details at http://sf.pm.org/weblog/archives/00000045.html

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/