[sf-perl] IDEs and/or Editors

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 22 17:03:36 PST 2007

On Feb 22, 2007, at 4:54 PM, Andy Lester wrote:
> For me, vim's color coding is part of everything I do.  If I do
> anything wrong, it just feels wrong.  For example, if I close a quote
> incorrectly, the rest of my code is purple.  Even if I can't tell
> exactly what's wrong, I just FEEL that there's a problem, and I stop
> until I figure it out.

I use syntax coloring for the same reason. However, I'm now a big fan
of perltidy, which automatically "fixes" any location-of-code errors
I make accidentally. Between the two, it lets me both catch problems
more quickly and understand someone else's code more easily.

Since I work in a group with about 20 people all writing their own
idiosyncratic Perl code, quickly understanding someone else's code is
extremely helpful. (And don't ask why we don't enforce some coding
standards. I've tried, but the Boss refuses to let me use
Perl::Critic or even forced-tidying. :-( )

To bring this back to IDEs, both TextMate and BBEdit on the Mac have
shortcut key access to running perltidy on a file. You can set up a
similar thing in any editor that can run outside scripts, if it
doesn't already have it.

To me, integrated perltidy support is a Required Feature of any Perl
IDE.

-- Mike

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>