[sf-perl] IDEs and/or Editors

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 21 21:42:37 PST 2007

If you're on a Mac, I've found that TextMate is a fantastic editor
for Perl. (And nearly any other language I can think of...) It also
has compile, run, and debugger support built in, as long as you're
doing the compiling, running, and debugging on your local machine.
(You can add remote compile and run support using scripts, but remote
debugging is harder.)

	http://www.macromates.com/

Personally, I use TextMate instead of using separate Perl, SQL, Java,
and XML/XSLT IDEs. I have one interface and don't have to keep
switching tools during my day. That said -- it's not quite as good as
IntelliJ IDEA for Java or some of the custom SQL IDEs -- but it's
good enough.

If you're using a Windows OS, there is now a "version" of TextMate
for Windows: "E Text Editor". I haven't used it, but it seems to be
nearly the same thing. See the website for details.
	http://e-texteditor.com/blog/2006/textmate_on_windows

On Unix systems, well, there's always emacs or vim. Both can be
reasonably good IDEs, with a little customization. I had one coworker
who had emacs set up to do everything you'd possibly expect from a
Perl IDE and another coworker who did the same for vim.

-- Mike

On Feb 21, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Neil Heller wrote:

> I would like to find out if someone can offer me a recommendation
> for an IDE
> or an editor for writing Perl scripts?
>
> Any comments are appreciated.

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>