[sf-perl] LinuxWorld Expo

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 9 00:52:20 PDT 2007

Quoting Joe Brenner (doom at kzsu.stanford.edu):

> And looking at what the perl foundation has to say about the onion
> logo, I'm afraid it strikes me as the same kind of crap from a
> different source:
>
> http://foundation.perl.org/legal/trademark.html
>
>    This authorization to use the Perl logo is limited to uses by the
>    organizations themselves, and doesn't extend to individual
>    members. Representatives of the organizations should contact us at
>    trademark at perlfoundation.org to obtain high-resolution versions of
>    the Perl logo, and answers to any questions they have about use of
>    the logo.

Remember, a trademark owner can _claim_ that specific authorisation is
required, to his/her heart's content, but trademark law in reality
grants no such monopoly -- only one over commercial brand impression
on customers within the same trade or business.

Years ago, the _Chron_ had a lovely Jon Carroll column where he mocked
a Kimberly-Clark legal representative who'd sent a letter making
toothless cease and desist threats because Carroll had abused the
"Kleenex" brand name.  (Carroll of course immediately abused it a bunch
more.)