[sf-perl] LinuxWorld Expo

Joe Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 7 10:10:16 PDT 2007

David Fetter <david at fetter.org> wrote:

> Joe Brenner wrote:
> > Joe Brenner <doom at kzsu.stanford.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > The "end cap" of the table is entirely open: two feet wide, and
> > > around four feet tall.  That strikes me as a logical place to put
> > > some perlish stuff.
> > >
> > > I might be able to do some little xeroxed sf-perl mongers flyers.
> > > I'm toying with the idea of doing quarter sheet handbills (4.25 x
> > > 5.5), Probably a classic camel (from 1989) with a little bit of
> > > text added:
> > >
> > >   http://www.old-picture.com/middle-east/Crossing-Sinai-Camel-the.htm
> >
> > Well, I gave it a try, but I had to give up.
>
> Giving up is a good idea.  O'Reilly owns copyrights to the camel in
> association with Perl
> <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/perl/usage/>, which is why
> the perl community has switched to using an onion.

I'm not sure how I feel about that trademark, but my understanding is
that legally we're okay: O'Reilly has an agreement with Perl Mongers,
you're just required to acknowledge that it's a trademark.

If you look at my "finished" product, I've tried to cover that point:

  http://obsidianrook.com/sfpm/flyers/four_camel_palms_c.jpg

And yeah, the need to do some legal genuflection was annoying.

> D (remember when people thought of O'Reilly as the good guys?)

Yes, but I stopped after Tim O'Reilly helped to diffuse the Amazon
boycott over that one-click patent business.