[sf-perl] Perl App Install Location

Michael Friedman friedman at highwire.stanford.edu
Mon Sep 25 11:54:38 PDT 2006

My company made this decision the first time we upgraded perl itself
out from under our custom libraries. Rather than spend the time to
package our pure-perl stuff up as CPAN-style packages, we just moved
it out of the local hierarchy and use PERL5LIB for each user that has
to use it.

That way we can upgrade perl itself without having to reinstall our
custom code. (And we can have *different* local copies for each
developer, even though it all runs on a shared server.)

However, we "install" our custom code via shared NFS mounts. If you
install code to individual machines using local disk, it's probably
easier to package it up the standard way.

-- Mike Friedman

On Sep 25, 2006, at 11:34 AM, Bill Walz wrote:

> I am interested in your comments/thoughts about where you install your
> custom Perl applications.
>
> I wrote and maintain a Apache2/Mod_Perl2/HTML::Mason web application
> that has a large Perl library. The library is also used on/by several
> different systems and processes that perform maintenance tasks, data
> imports, etc.
>
> Currently the application resides in /local with my Perl library
> in /local/site_perl. I use the system installed Perl and add "use lib
> qw(/local/site_perl);" to all of my scripts.
>
> I am now thinking about packaging up the library for installation into
> Perl's site_perl, i.e. Makefile.PL etc. This would add extra sanity
> checks into my release process (module prerequisite checking, etc) and
> make the release process more formal than a simple scp/untar.
>
> Besides the addition of having /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.x
> directories hanging around what are your thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Bill Walz

Michael Friedman                     HighWire Press
Phone: 650-725-1974                  Stanford University
FAX:   270-721-8034                  <friedman at highwire.stanford.edu>