[sf-perl] rack management software?

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Mon Nov 13 12:08:56 PST 2006

I've started developing some web-based (RoR) software to
manage relay racks.  The software should make it easy to
inventory racked equipment, tally the power consumption
for each rack, etc.

I'm hoping that youall may have some suggestions on the
specific functions that the software should perform.  If
you know of existing software that performs similar or
strongly-related functions, please tell me about it!

Also, if you have a (smallish) rack installation which I
can document (ideally, as a public example), let me know.

The initial tables include:

  buildings     contain rooms
  devices       abstract units
  racks         contain units
  rooms         contain racks
  units         device instances

Once I have this in hand, I hope to add tables for:

  cables        connect units
  circuits      graphs of cables and units
  plugs         attachment points for cables
  sockets       attachment points for units

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com