[sf-perl] Spawning external program within Perl

Duane Obrien duane.obrien at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 10:08:58 PST 2006

I pulled my HAIR out over this exact issue.  I have a cron that
launched a perl script that check for a daemon and if it wasn't
running it was supposed to start it.

And I could see it starting the daemon and the daemon bailing as soon
as the perl script was done running.

That turned out to be a coincidence.  The daemon was using a module
that was calling a binary that wasn't in PATH for the user running
cron.

This may not help you.  But if any of this process involves running as
another user, make sure you've crossed your i's and dotted yout t's.