[sf-perl] Debugger goodness

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Thu Mar 2 16:45:52 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, Quinn Weaver <qw at sf.pm.org> wrote:
> Just to be pedantic, some BSD systems expect you to use VISUAL instead
> of editor (and commands like 'crontab -e' don't honor EDITOR).
> So you should always do something like this in your .bash_profile:
>
> export EDITOR=whatever
> export VISUAL=$EDITOR

Not pedantic at all.  I do this for all of my logins.  I've run into
this with other programs.  Some heed the value of $EDITOR, some the
value of $VISUAL (some even check both).  And I actually set them to
"vim -X" rather than "vim" to prevent vim from trying to launch the
graphical version of itself.

--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.