[sf-perl] Quick question on regular expression and substitution

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Wed Jun 28 16:27:58 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 03:14:21PM -0700, Loo, Peter # PHX wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> We have the need to transfer data between several different types of
> databases.  (Oracle, Netezza, SQL Server, Sybase, MySQL, etc...)
> What I have done is that I created sub-routines to accommodate
> inserts dynamically.

It'll be cheaper, more foolproof, easier to maintain, etc. simply to
write the various bits of SQL for each back-end database.  You may be
interested in the following by Josh Berkus:

http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Downloads/database_depends_public.sxi

and a sketch of how to accomplish what Josh calls "Multiple Database
Support" by yours truly, here:

http://fetter.org/Database_As_Object.pdf

Cheers,
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!