[sf-perl] How to monitor a spawned sub-process

Loo, Peter # PHX Peter.Loo at source.wolterskluwer.com
Wed Aug 9 16:25:31 PDT 2006

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is a good way to monitor a spawned process
within a Perl program.  For example: I am using Perl DBI to run a SQL
command.  However, I would like to give the SQL process some time to
complete and at some point break out and quit if a set time has been
exceeded.  Code example:

eval {
  $dbh->do("insert into table1 select a.col1, a.col2, b.col4 from table1
a, table2 b");
  };

So if the above process does not complete after 10 minutes, I was to
quit out of the program.

Hope this information is clear.

Peter