[sf-perl] Some well-formed XML?

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Tue Sep 20 11:25:59 PDT 2005

Rich,

> The general problem of turning a tree into a database structure is non-
> trivial (at least if you want a useful result [1]).  OTOH, I understand
> that it's possible to dump and reload a database, using XML as the
> transfer format.  Is there a standardized way to express how this should
> be done?

PostgreSQL?  Not currently.  It's been proposed but was held up by a lack
of a standard XML format for table dumps.  I think someone found one, but
if so they've just started work.  Besides, most of the discussion was
about XML query output rather than dumps.

Of course, "held up due to a lack of standards" could describe a lot of
XML-based tech ;-)

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus