[sf-perl] Alpha testers needed for an OSX man page (etc) browser

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Tue May 31 07:57:54 PDT 2005

At 7:25 AM -0700 5/31/05, Richard Karpinski wrote:
>Do I need OS 10.4 to participate?

As far as I know, 10.4 is only needed to use the Spotlight search (i.e.,
to get to the tool).  Of course, that's the ONLY convenient way to
start up the tool at present, but I plan to change that RSN.

In the meanwhile, you can get to the tool by:

   *  navigating to an ht4m file, via the Finder, and double-clicking it, as:

        <system disk>
           Library
             Documentation
               Morinfo
                 MAN
                   usr
                     share
                       man
                         man1
                           chfn.1.ht4m (whew!)

   *  Using the open(1) command to accomplish the same thing:

        open /Library/Documentation/Morinfo/MAN/usr/share/man/man1/chfn.1.ht4m

   *  Typing a URL into your browser:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/morinfo?link=/MAN/usr/share/man/man1/chfn.1.ht4m
        http://localhost/cgi-bin/morinfo?opts=cd%2Cri&SR=chfn.1

None of these is particularly satisfactory, but they all work, more or less.

-r
--
email: rdm at cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com        - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory