[sf-perl] Fuzzy mod_perl memory requirements super fun question

Paul Makepeace Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com
Fri Jul 22 16:54:53 PDT 2005

Je 2005-07-22 04:16:53 +0100, Quinn Weaver skribis:
> OK, I have a kind of silly question.  It's been so long since I've had
> to run my own web server that I don't know the answer.  (Half an hour of
> Googling hasn't turned up anything, either. :/ )
>
> The question is, how much RAM do you need to run mod_perl reasonably
> these days?

realprogrammers.com hosts 130+ sites some running mod_perl, some PHP
(which can get RAM hungry too,) all in a big fat monolithic apache
1.3. There is also MySQL and Pg and spamassassin 3, all working reasonably
hard. It all used to run in 512MB and now is a little more
comfortable in a gig.

Apache did in the last day:

httpdlog=> select count(urlpath), sum(bytes) from requests where now()-timeserved < '1 day'::interval;
 count |    sum
-------+------------
 77015 | 1103050771
(1 row)

Its load is around 0.3 most of the time. RAID 0 7200rpm IDE drives,
Debian + 2.6 kernel. Intel 1.8GHz.

</$anecdotes++>

HTH a bit :)
Paul

--
Paul Makepeace .............................. http://paulm.com/inchoate/

"What is harry Potter? It can only be street-cleaning."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/