[sf-perl] Can I rant, rave, and delurk for a moment?

George Woolley george at metaart.org
Thu Feb 17 13:57:02 PST 2005

Duane,
Sort of, but the epilogue is happy.

Background:
Once upon a time,
I was a programmer on a team
developing & maintaining a group of related applications
for a large financial company.
The applications were written in a language
I prefer not to mention.
(Oh, the pain.)

I was writing a lot of code in the unnamed language.
For a couple of years,
I'd been using Perl to support my (and the team's) development.
Perl had become easily my favorite language.

The Story:
My manager came to me
and asked me to make a request for training.
My understanding was that almost anything would be approved.
So I happily requested some Perl training.

Alas, my request was denied.
My manager explained
that given the company's direction
he could think of no scenario in which Perl would be a factor.
Yuk.

Epilogue:
Later, I quit,
partly because of that bad experience.

My next job as an employee
ended up involving using nothing but Perl.

---

Skoal,
George

... could someone else share a perlPanic horror story so I don't