[sf-perl] Can I rant, rave, and delurk for a moment?

Herb Rubin herbr at pfinders.com
Thu Feb 17 12:39:10 PST 2005

Duane,

I've had people look at me funny for using Perl. I worked at Sun and did
a good sized Perl project to troubleshoot fiber optic raid arrays.

It worked great and the field technicians loved it. But, once the Sun
managers got wind of this cool tool, they took it over and converted it
to Java, like Perl was some bastard child programming language.

The field techs couldn't use it because they were forced to have a GUI
available, no more telnet or ssh. It was a mess. They told us they
missed having Perl and looking at the source code.

To keep my spirits up, I just keep in mind that Microsoft only has a 20%
market share in web servers worldwide and dropping.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

But, Perl is getting more respect as Linux gets more respect.

Herb

--
Herb Rubin                 Pathfinders Software
herbr at pfinders.com         http://www.pfinders.com