[sf-perl] Celebrity Endorsement (?)

Quinn Weaver qw at sf.pm.org
Tue Apr 12 14:32:53 PDT 2005

I saw a talk on ArX (an Arch fork :( ) at CodeCon.
http://superbeast.ucsd.edu/~landry/ArX/codecon/img0.html

It was a very useful presentation, because it did a feature-by-feature
comparison of existing free source control systems (including performance
comparisons), attempting to answer the questions "Why yet another
system?"

Anyway, it convinced me of two things:

1) GNU ArX is slightly better than tla (Tom Lord's Arch).
2) Monotone is better than anything else on the market.

--probably not what the speaker had in mind, but useful nonetheless. ;)

> > > I bet you can
> > >    do it trivially in perl or something sane, and I'm just stuck in
> > >    the stone age of UNIX)."  -- Linus Torvalds

> > hmm,  it appears to me that perl was included in a sane list.  but
> > maybe I am just optimistic and hopeful.
>
> That was my first take on it, but on second reading I noticed he wasn't
> saying "perl or something *else* sane".

I don't think Linus is that careful with his language.  This sounds
like a typical off-the-cuff comment, and my sense is that he just
didn't think about the "else".  So... I'm pretty sure the contrast is
between shell scripts (insane) and Perl or something else (sane), but
I'm not sure I can justify my intuition.  But you could mail him and
ask. ;)

--
qw (Quinn Weaver); #President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
=for information, visit http://sf.pm.org/weblog =cut