[San-Diego-pm] Getting modules

Brian Manning elspicyjack at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:22:07 PST 2016

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Joel Fentin <joel at fentin.com> wrote:
> I tried upgrade Test::Harness. It failed. hundreds of:
> missing semicolon
> missing operator
> Do you need to predeclare
> Bareword found where operator expected
>
> -------
>
> I googled pastebin to learn what pastebin is. The government of Venezuela
> doesn't like it. Then went to pastebin.com. Am at a loss as to what to do
> with it.
>
> I'm shelled to DOS.
> The cursor is: cpan>
> I type "upgrade Test::Harness"
> Huge gobs of text roll by. (See below for what I could snag from DOS.)
> Don't know how to crowbar pastebin into this process.
> Isn't there a way to get the huge rolling output into a local file?

You can redirect output from processes on Windows the same as on *NIX.
You can also install CPAN modules without using the full CPAN shell.
Put the two together and you can do:

perl -MCPAN -e upgrade Test::Harness > test_harness_install.txt

You can then open test_harness_install.txt in your favorite text
editor, then copy/paste the text inside that file into the big textbox
on whichever pastebin site you choose; there's literally dozens, so
you should be able to find one that's not censored.

You never answered my question yesterday about upgrading Strawberry
Perl to 5.24.0.1.  Is this possible for you?  For what it's worth, I'm
not confident the Perl you have installed on your system is working
correctly, and would suggest at a minimum removing then reinstalling
what you have, or removing what you have and upgrading to 5.24.0.1.

Thanks,

Brian