[San-Diego-pm] Need some general advice (non-perl)

Brad Beyenhof bbeyenhof at augmentedfourth.com
Sat Sep 1 08:04:34 PDT 2012

Hi Richard,

If you're going to use a Debian-based distro (as Ubuntu is), it's
probably best to install anything you need via the distribution's
package repository. Many of the CPAN modules have been packaged this
way.

By the way, for this and other Linux administration-related questions,
I recommend getting in touch with the Kernel-Panic Linux Users' Group:
an IRC channel at #kernel-panic on Freenode.

-Brad

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Richard Bychowski <wrinkles at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have very limited system administration background, having "managed" shared hosting for a number of my website clients, and having managed my own linux box in my office.  I have recently taken a position as a technical support coordinator for a K-12 private school. The network has around 150-200 networked devices and a SonicWall security appliance.
>
> So here's the question. I just purchased a Ubuntu server from system76.com. I will be installing Request Tracker, Nagios, enkive, etc. These can be installed from source, from Ubuntu repository, or sometimes from CPAN. What factors should I consider in choosing an install method?
>
> What other tools (or books even) do you suggest for tracking and managing a network of this size?
>
> I realize that is a pretty general question, but I am just looking for whatever words of wisdom I can get before launching my new career. Any or all advice/comments/warnings are welcome.
>
> TIA,
>
> Rick Bychowski

Brad Beyenhof . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . http://augmentedfourth.com
There are only two kinds of men: the righteous, who believe themselves
sinners; the rest, sinners, who believe themselves righteous.
~ Blaise Pascal (1623–1662)